Today is the 155th Anniversary of the Battle of New Market.
Today, I’m actually in Lexington, Virginia, at Virginia Military Institute for the New Market Ceremony which is a special memorial observation. Before leaving for the book tour of Call Out The Cadets, we recorded an anniversary video.
I love primary sources. There’s nothing quite like hearing about events in the words of those who were really there. Today’s video features photographs and voice-overs for the primary sources along with a little interpretation. I hope you will find it interesting and an appropriate way to commemorate the battle anniversary.
May 15, 1864 in Primary Sources
- Excerpt from Cadet Jack Standard’s last letter
- Excerpts from Cadet John Wise’s End of an Era
- Excerpt from 54th Pennsylvania Report
- Citation for Sergeant Burns’s Medal of Honor citation
- Excerpt from Capt. Henry DuPont’s artillery memoirs
Thanks for watching!
P.S. Check out Gazette665’s Facebook page later today or tomorrow for photographs from VMI.